NT Labs Mediclay 1.5kg
Pure High Calcium Montmorillonite Clay
Clarifies water, enhances skin quality, stimulates appetite, controls buildup of waste & bacteria which cause ill health.
When to Use
Use as a weekly additive to re-mineralise pond water to control the build up of organic waste, bacteria and pollutants which cause bacterial infections and ill health. Mediclay stimulates the biological system in favour of beneficial bacteria helping to reduce algae. Mediclay will also “polish” the water resulting in amazing clarity to observe your fish.
- Mix the required dose in a clean bucket/watering can of pond water then pour over the surface of the pond or at a filter outlet to ensure an even spread.
- For clarifying the water, Mediclay is best applied via the pump or venturi so that it is rapidly mixed with the water returning to the pond.
- Use in conjunction with other NT Labs water treatments but leave 48 hours after using an NT Labs Medication before applying Mediclay.
- Mediclay can be used at any time of year (water temperature) and will not alter the water pH.
- Don't use within 48 hours of applying a medication.
- Q: What is Mediclay? A: Mediclay is a high-purity montmorillonite clay containing a variety of minerals and trace elements which are beneficial to fish health and water quality and clarity. Montmorillonite clays are produced by the weathering of volcanic ash, and are hence high in minerals.
- Q: What does Mediclay do? A: Weekly additions of Mediclay will re-mineralise your pond water to control the build-up of organic waste. Additionally, Mediclay will clarify the water and encourage the biological filter to perform at its best, reducing the potential for harmful ammonia and nitrite spikes. It is also widely accepted that the use of montmorillonite clays, such as Mediclay, enhance the skin quality and brightens the colours of fish.
- Q: How does Mediclay work? A: This is a more complicated question than it may appear. It largely boils down to the negative charge of the clay particles and their size/structure. However, we have written an article on our Knowledge Hub, you can find it here: How does Mediclay work?
- Q: How does Mediclay remove toxic substances from the water? A: As Mediclay particles have a negative chemical (ionic) charge, positively charged ions will be attracted to and will bond with particles of Mediclay. This doesn’t technically remove these toxic substances, such as heavy metals, ammonia and pesticides, but instead locks them away preventing them from harming fish. During water changes and filter cleans, the Mediclay will slowly be removed and thus these toxic substances are removed as well.
- Q: How often can I use Mediclay? A: You can use Mediclay as a weekly additive to your pond or sporadically throughout the year when you think your pond needs a bit of a pick-me-up. The use of Mediclay will never harm your fish, provided you follow the dosage shown on the label.
- Q: Can I use Mediclay alongside a medicinal treatment? A: Yes, but we recommend you wait two days after applying Mediclay before using a medicinal treatment. As good as Mediclay is, it doesn’t distinguish between the ‘extra’ particles in the water that we don’t want there and the medications we add on purpose!
- Q: Will adding Mediclay alter the pH of my pond? A: Continued use over an extended time period may raise the pH. However, this depends on the current pH level of the pond. If you need a product to adjust the pH, take a look at our KH - Buffer Up instead.
Available in the following variations:
1.5kg, 5kg & 20kg